How are we going to get out of this? We have an army of undead all around and god knows where we are! I know that there is little to no chance of us surviving, even if we make it through this challenge, there will just be another waiting for us. And while the enemy grows with each fallen survivor our numbers only grow smaller, and our resources dwindle more and more. What’s the point in fighting, if there’s no hope of victory?

Monday, July 22, 2013

The Dead Chapter 7

Book 1: The Dead

Chapter 7

We waited for Caleb’s return with bated breath, I was sitting in the Ute when Daphne came over to me, tears still marking her face. ‘What are we waiting for?’ she asked quietly and impatiently
‘Caleb went to see how bad the hospital is and whether we can get medicine for Simon there,’ I answered slowly, trying to keep her calm. She made a sound a bit like an impatient sigh and walked away. I tried to block out the sound of people screaming and running and listen for the sound of Caleb’s motorbike, but I was interrupted by Daphne returning, ‘Who is this guy anyway?’
‘Caleb’s… a friend, he’s helped us out,’ I paused, ‘I … trust him, I guess’
‘You guess?’ Daphne had raised her voice, ‘so we don’t even know if this guy’s going to come back but we’re just waiting here like idiots?’ I snapped, all the frustration I had over my situation lashed out at her, ‘look, we don’t have to risk our lives for your boyfriend but we’re going to, and right now no one is at as much risk than Caleb, he’s all alone, so you can either leave and take Simon with you or you can stay’- I calmed down and slowed my voice ‘-and trust us.’ She looked at me, on the brink of tears again and walked away, I regretted what I said but it felt satisfying to let go for once. Nicole came around and sat in the Ute, a knowing expression on her face, ‘did that feel good?’
‘Yes,’ I said guilefully
‘Good,’ she replied. Then she hit me, hard, on the am and left the Ute.

I heard another car crash and a scream, and more people filled the streets as those that were taking their time or were slowing down due to fatigue were invigorated by the sight of several deadmen lumbering towards them. Some saw the hole that Brooke’s car had caused in the fence and used that to flee the crowded streets, unfortunately the dead had seen it too and began pursuing the escaping people. I got out of the car and began to help Todd block the hole with the broken piece of fence. But before we did we let the last few alive people through, those that weren’t tackled to the ground by the dead, we managed to block the hole before the deed got through and with the help of some others we stopped the dead from breaking it all over again. Some of the people that made it through had stopped running and were gasping for breath.

I turned to Todd, ‘you should say something’
‘What?’ Todd replied, shocked, ‘Why?’
‘Well you’re sort of our leader, and some of these people could help, you should ask them to stay’
‘No, Will, no!’ Todd backed away, ‘I’m not your leader, and I’m not saying anything.’ He almost ran back to the cars as Nicole walked over to me, watching Todd walk past her she asked, ‘What’s going on?’
‘Nothing,’ I replied as I jumped on top of Brooke’s crashed car and raised my voice, but only slightly, afraid I might attract more of the dead. ‘Um, excuse me,’ I began, and several people turned to look at me, ‘the hospitals and the police stations aren’t safe, many people will go there and some will be infected, and if they panic there will be a stampede like the one you were just in. Me and my friends don’t have a plan yet but we’re thinking of one, and if any of you think you can keep your head in what’s going on or even if you are willing and able to fight we can use you. We have supplies but not much, we’re considering going to the hospital to get medicine for my friend,’ I looked over at Simon and Brooke in the Ute, ‘so we could sure use all the help we can get. It’s getting late, we’re most likely going to stay the night here, anyone can join us, all you have to do is ask.’ I couldn’t read the expression on their faces, and I didn’t know what to say next so I just ended, ‘um… than-thank you.’ I hopped down off the car as most of the people I addressed left, muttering things like ‘they’re insane’ or ‘idiots’ some just ran, barely even interpreting what I had said. I realised that this was a good thing, anyone who didn’t trust me or couldn’t stay calm and logical would only prove detrimental in the long run.

Eventually there were only two people remaining of the dozen I addressed, but my disappointment was short-lived as I realised I recognised one of them. ‘Daniel!’ I exclaimed, and Wendy and Nicole, hearing me came over and embraced him, although he still seemed quite in shock. I put aside my joy in finding an old friend and walked over to the other new ally. She was a woman around my age, dark-skinned and fit, from the outfit she was wearing I guessed she ran a lot, and was running when the dead attacked, she was wearing a stoic expression on her face. ‘Hi, I’m Will,’ I introduced myself, extending my hand. She took a deep breath and stared at my hand but her facial expression did not change, I assumed she was weighing her options. After a few more deep breaths she shook my hand and said simply, ‘Monica.’ I nodded and we stood there for a few more moments before I turned to Daniel and my jubilation returned, I could tell I wasn’t getting much more out of Monica.

Monica had joined Todd, Daphne and Wendy in my mother’s car while Daniel was catching up with Nicole in the Ute. I hoped Nicole, who had calmed down considerably since we found her, could help Daniel snap out of his stupor. I went and talked with Brooke, curious about our new member ‘so,’ I began, not sure where to start, ‘how old are you?’ she grinned
‘You know it’s rude to ask a woman that,’ she said, but I could tell the smile and humorous remark were hiding her true feelings, she then answered my question, ‘32’
‘Any family?’
‘No’ but I wasn’t sure that was the truth, based on how quickly she answered my question. I realised this was useless, and decided to ask the question I wanted to ask, ‘you don’t have to stay and help you know, you have the same choice Daniel and Monica just made.’ Brooke looked through the Utes back window and at Daniel, who now seemed to be deep in conversation with Nicole. She shook her head, ‘No, I have to stay, I caused this,’ she nodded at Simon, ‘I have to help. Besides, I think you kids are right, you seem intelligent and organised enough, I think I can trust you’
‘Good,’ I said smiling, it was hard not to like this woman. I looked at Simon, changing the subject I went on, ‘when it gets dark, it’ll be too cold to keep him here’
‘Yes I agree,’ Brooke replied nodding, ‘we should take him inside’

‘No,’ I said, stopping her, ‘it’ll be too hard to get moving again in an emergency,’ I thought hard for a few moments, ‘let’s park the Ute in a garage, that should help a bit, and get some clean blankets to keep him warm, that way we can just drive off if we need to.’ Brooked, nodded and we got it set up. Before long everyone had a place to sleep, a few of us in the cars, some in the houses, and always two people on guard. Wendy and I were just about to start our shift when we finally, blessedly, heard the sound of a motorbike, Caleb was coming back. Then my face dropped as I saw through my vantage point a horde of the dead chasing after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment