How are we going to get out of this? We have an army of undead all around and god knows where we are! I know that there is little to no chance of us surviving, even if we make it through this challenge, there will just be another waiting for us. And while the enemy grows with each fallen survivor our numbers only grow smaller, and our resources dwindle more and more. What’s the point in fighting, if there’s no hope of victory?

Saturday, July 27, 2013

The Dead Chapter 8

Book 1: The Dead

Chapter 8

I don’t even remember what I yelled, but I remember yelling. Everyone was suddenly in motion, nobody really knew what the others were doing but they knew what had to be done. I ran to the garage, Brooke and Nicole were already there, getting ready to leave. Brooke had a terrified look on her face but Nicole looked strangely calm, they had loaded all the first aid supplies into the back with Simon and they hopped on as me and Daniel got in the front two seats. As we drove out we saw Todd and Monica carrying supplies out to my mother’s car, Wendy and Daphne were already in the car, calling at them to move faster. The sound of Caleb’s bike was closer now, but I also began to hear the growls and drones of the dead horde behind him.

He broke down the barrier in the fence as he entered our street, barely slowing down as he checked that everyone was ready. We all began to drive out of the street, but more dead, attracted by the noise, began to enter from the house and streets near us as dead began to stream through the hole in the fence. Once again I can’t remember what I said but I know I shouldn't repeat it in polite company. Caleb was in the most danger being at the front and on a bike, but I was also worried about Nicole, Brooke and Simon in the back. But then I heard Brooke say something as she grabbed her bag, ‘don’t worry about us.’ And then she pulled out a revolver we never knew she had from her bag.

I accelerated, swerving around Caleb on his bike and knocked through the line of dead moving towards us, I turned slightly and heard Brooke fire some shots into the ones remaining. I don’t know how many she hit or killed because I couldn't bear to turn around but we had obviously made a gap in their ranks because I saw Caleb’s bike and my mother’s car drive passed me. I began to breathe easier, but my breath stopped all over again as I heard a scream then a gunshot, I span my head around and saw that one of the dead had reach us, grabbed Nicole but Brooke had shot it, straight through the head, almost immediately. I made a mental note to ask her where she got her training later. But there were no time for questions, Nicole banged on the window and yelled, ‘go! Go!’ I drove off before anymore dead could reach us, but I realised with dread that the dead were still chasing us, and the gunshots would only attract more, it wasn't over yet.


We had driven for what seemed like forever, we never came as close to being caught as we were originally, but we could always see the horde chasing us. It had dwindled some, I guessed some of the dead had found other victims or simply gave up, but the majority were still chasing us. Throughout the drive none of us said a word, we were all to tense, but the atmosphere had changed from a panicky fear to a fierce determination to survive, but it was quickly changing again to tired, and desperate. Caleb was at the head, leading us down the roads he felt, or guessed, were safest and clear of deadmen or abandoned cars. My biggest worry however was not running into another wall of dead or a traffic jam, but running out of fuel. We hadn't filled the cars since we found them, I didn't even remember how full they were when we started or what fuel they used but the Ute at least was running low.

I managed to communicate my worries to Nicole, and I accelerated until I was side-by-side with Todd, and then Caleb and she yelled across what was going on, and they shouted back that they had the same concerns. Caleb was now shouting something else, ‘I’ll lead to a petrol station, and we can refuel there’
‘Is that wise?’ Nicole asked, also shouting, ‘won’t they catch up?’ Todd he had moved forward and now the three of us were driving in sync
‘We’ll have some time,’ Todd shouted, ‘me and Brooke will hold them off using the ammo we have, besides, I've got a plan.’ I didn't have time to shout back and see what he was planning as I had to break suddenly to avoid crashing into an abandoned car. I almost broke too much and allowed the horde to reach us but I managed to accelerate just enough to avoid them. We got into a formation with Caleb at the front, the Ute in the middle and the heavier car at the back. Even if she didn't use it before I was now glad my mother drove a 4 wheel drive.

I cursed these small roads, the turns, round-abouts and islands prevented us from gaining much speed. But we soon got onto a main road that by luck wasn't clogged up with cars, we were lucky we were going in the opposite direction that most people were fleeing to. This allowed us to gain some time, which would prove helpful when we stopped. The dead horde were getting further and further away, almost until they were out of sight, but I still knew they were chasing us, the sounds of other survivors had stopped, there were no more people alive in this area to distract them. None that were making any noise anyway.

We pulled into the petrol station and jumped out, everyone went straight into action. Daniel, who apparently knew what fuel the Ute used started filling up the tank as Wendy filled up the 4WD and Caleb was filling up his bike. Even Daphne had forgotten her concern for her boyfriend and helped Monica quickly grab what might be useful from the store inside. As Nicole and I quickly re-bandaged what we could of Simon’s wounds I saw out the corner of my eye Todd and Brooke discussing something. I couldn't hear what they were saying but I guessed it had to do with Todd’s plan, and it was obviously insane judging by Brooke’s reaction. But my attention was brought back to the matter at hand as Simon groaned, I was slightly relieved, at least he was waking up, but I wished we had more time to tend to him instead of ignoring him as we continued preparing.

Todd ran up to me after a short while, talking quickly, ‘Will, listen, I need you to move into the 4WD’
‘What?’ I asked, ‘why? Does this have something to do with your plan?’

‘I don’t have time to explain, I need to be driving the Ute when we leave.’ Against my curious and inquisitive nature I relented and ran over to the 4WD, Todd had obviously become more confident since he ran away from his leadership role. And I was all too happy to let him return to it. Daphne came over and asked how Simon was ‘he’s waking up,’ I answered, but grabbed her when she started to run over to him ‘there isn't time,’ I continued, ‘you can see him later, for now let’s just survive.’ My point was made all the more relevant when Brooke, who was keeping watch, ran over shouting, ‘they’re here they’re here!’ I took a deep breath and prepared myself for what was to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment